Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Geometric Tree Topper DIY


Every year I have lamented the fact that we don't actually have an official tree topper (or tree skirt!).  I didn't want something too flashy or busy, and haven't been able to find one that fits the bill. The other night I was sorting through my stash, and came across a few remaining packs of brass tubing leftover from this project, and before I knew it, a tree topper was in the works...


I found an amazing tutorial for a star himmeli here (complete with video!), and went to it!Well, turns out that regular string and brass tubing will not achieve a perfect star shape, and instead will result in a lame heap of sad limp tubing that does not say "merry Christmas." So, I tried it again using thin jewelry wire instead of string and it worked!


Perhaps you are in need of a tree topper too? If you'd like to make one of your own, follow the tutorial, substituting thin wire in place of string, and using needle nose pliers to tuck in and finish each end of wire that sticks out. I also used a small piece of wire to attach our star to the top of our tree.

Merry, merry making to you!


2 comments:

  1. OOOOOOH!!!! This is magnificent! I loved your himmeli tutorial and this just tops the cake...or tree. Whichever you prefer! :) Great update, too! Thanks for being a test crafter and passing on your expertise! Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would be a major upgrade from the foil star we had to craft because our tree was too tall for our normal topper. Nice work!

    kate
    www.nearlycrafty.com

    ReplyDelete