Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Juxtaposition of opposites



 Recently I had an epiphany.  Well, actually I had a re-epiphany (yes, I did just make up a word) as I was trying to make sense of my closet.   

When you see an outfit that goes together so well, there's an almost undefinable quality to it that makes you look again.  You know it when you see it.  Come to find out, it's actually very simple.  It's all about opposites.  If you're wearing something flirty and romantic, layer it with something structured and more masculine.  It's the reason high heels can look great with jeans and a t-shirt. 

I was reading the latest issue of Instyle and Michael Kors himself was talking about this (and says it much better than I can!):

"When women look at other women who are stylish, what they always notice is the play of opposites; it's the trenchcoat over the sequined shift.  What's so appealing is dressing like you didn't stress over it."  (pg. 98)

Please tell me I'm not the only one having a duh! moment here.  Once you learn this rule, it's so obvious.  

Make it work.

No comments:

Post a Comment