Wednesday, January 7, 2015

DIY Woven Chair Seat


Now that we're finally in our house, I have been in some sort of creative overdrive mode. Finding a way to make our stuff fit into a new space well always puts me into a problem solving state, which, of course, leads to a long list of projects.

This rocking chair is a great example...I still love the shape of this Ikea gem, but honestly it hasn't gotten much use since our apartment days in California. I hated the print of the cushions, but they're still in great shape. I will probably update the covers someday soon using this site, but for now I wanted a quick way to update the chair so it could be functional as a reading chair in Jack's room instead of being banished to the garage.


I love the look of wooden furniture with the contrast of a neutral woven fabric seat. I found this great tutorial from one of my fave DIY-ers, Matt from Wood & Faulk and remembered that I had two rolls of industrial grade felt sitting in a box just waiting to be used! If I had leather strips on hand I would definitely be using those, but I love the soft look and feel of the felt too (and, hey, free!).

The process was very simple and the whole project took less than two hours. The only thing I did differently than the tutorial was to use a staple gun instead of upholstery tacks to attach the strips of felt to the frame. I wasn't having a lot of success in nailing the tacks in, and the staple gun ended up being a quick solution. This would be an amazing update or fix for any furniture that has a wood frame and a variety of materials could be used. I don't think I'll look at broken garage sale chairs the same now!

I can't wait to snap a pic of Jack's room and show the chair in its new home!

Have you made anything to update your home lately? I would love to hear about it!

4 comments:

  1. So pretty! I love the chair and I love your blog! Great Ideas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Identifying an area wherever you may place a white chair might be troublesome to zero in on. On a lighter note, wedding venues could also be an honest choice. this might be as a result of the sole side that one would need to worry regarding is hiring the white chairs. Maintaining them and guaranteeing that the food stains escape is that the downside of the one WHO rents it!

    ReplyDelete

  3. Wow I can say this is another extraordinary article true to form of this blog.Bookmarked this webpage

    ReplyDelete