Thursday, March 22, 2012

Naturally dyed beads.


The girls and I have been playing with unfinished wooden beads for the past few weeks.  The girls make necklaces with them, count them, and play all sorts of games with them.  Best $3 I've spent in a while!


The other night I thought it would be fun to add some color to them.  I tried painting them a while back and the process was messy and I wasn't very happy with the finished look (if you have tricks to share, please do!).

I remembered these recipes for natural egg-dyeing and decided to try it out with beads.  I wish I had more ingredients on hand, but I love how these turned out.  I used turmeric, paprika, frozen cranberries, and dried lavender as dye (following the recipe instructions for similar products), and left the beads soaking overnight.


I decided to string about 6 beads on to elastic cording to make some festive napkin rings, but the possibilities are endless!

P.S. We're on a plane to Seattle this morning, so I'm signing off a bit early this week.  Best wishes for your weekend!

5 comments:

  1. So pretty! I love the idea to use them as napkin rings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them! I want to make a necklace... Or garland!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these are gorgeous! perfect colors!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun craft idea & gorgeous colors! Thanks for sharing!
    xx
    Joanna

    ReplyDelete