Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Gender Reveal Parties: Do or don't?

What do you think about gender reveal parties? 

You know I love 'em!  You might remember a party I helped plan for a friend last year.  The moment we all found out what Kimberly and Ryan were expecting (baby Ronin, now 6 months old) was both sentimental and exciting.  In fact, I loved that moment so much that I created a mini-version of it myself for baby 3.

We both agreed that we should do something different this time around.  We discovered the gender of both girls during the ultrasound and I secretly found the moment anti-climatic.  We decided we would at least have the tech put the results in an envelope for us to open at a more special time, whether with others, or not.

Our trip to Seattle was a day after our ultrasound appointment, so we decided to open the results with both of our families.  My sister was even on the line in South Korea! For us, it was a special moment that we won't forget.

You might be surprised to find that not everyone thinks these parties are a good idea.  In fact, I get quite a bit of traffic from a comment thread on a pregnancy site all about the negative aspects of these parties!  I think it comes down to how private of a person you are and whether you feel certain moments should only be shared with those closest to you.

I recently consulted on a NY Times article all about the "gender reveal" phenomenon.  I wasn't quoted (wah-wahh) but my friend Kimberly was!  Either way, it was thrilling to do a phone interview with a big city reporter.  You can read the article here.  I'd love to know what you think!  Would you participate in a gender reveal?

4 comments:

  1. we made then sent/gave confetti eggs filled with blue bits and our little guy's name tucked inside.
    the idea was to smash an egg on a loved ones head to reveal the details.
    i think revealing the sex in a creative way is a fun idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a cool idea! Did anyone actually smash the eggs on people's heads?!

      Delete
  2. I say why not? It's just one more reason to enjoy pregnancy and having a baby. There are so many unpleasant things, but not add a few VERY pleasant things too =)

    - Sarah
    agirlintransit.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete